Tuesday 27 March 2012

BOLLYWOOD ISHTYLE: Preity's Taj Mahal Romance in 'Bol Na Halke Halke'

This is one song (of many!) which I can have on loop in 'Bol na halke halke', featuring the beautiful Preity Zinta in her dreamy brown-eyed-ness. Looking beautifully vintage and colourful, Preity seems to bring back several eras of previous fashion trends, as well as older Bollywood songs, from her beautiful outfits, each of which have their own colours scheme, style and accessories.

First up in this song is this lovely fitted kameez and baggy salwar mix, which uses a fresh combination of rich green, royal blue and orange, which works very well with the gold work. I've seen these colours being used in the catwalks and the high streets today, and find it a very flattering colour combination, which doesn't need too much embellishment. I also like how Preity's make-up and bangles are matched to her outfit without looking too much, making this one outfit I'd love to wear!


 Next up is this sunny yellow suit with a colourful dupatta. I love gold jamawar prints on bright fabrics, and this is one example of how well it works (although I can't say I'm too keen on the dupatta - it reminds me of an outfit I used to have several years ago!). Again, this is a Punjabi style outfit which doesn't focus too much on any embellishment, but rather on the bright colours and the mix of blues and pinks against yellow.


I love how throughout, there is a beautiful mix of colours which are carefully accessorised, with small details picked out against rich fabrics. Below is just one example of a plain white suit which is completed with a pretty orange, pink and white dupatta, which has a glittery touch due to the work, and is finished off with pretty bangles.


This off-white lengha is another outfit which appeals to me a lot, from the mother-of-pearl detail to the swish of the skirts. I think cream and off-white is one of those colours which can look elegant on everyone, and is one of those colours which seems to have been in vogues for decades. In this scene, I'm reminded of the golden-oldies of the 50's and 60's, such as the beautifully made outfits in Pakeezah and the famous song Chaudhvin ka Chand, which show iconic flowy dresses in creamy whites and gold. I also like how Preity chose not to wear any accessories here, emphasising the simplicity of the look instead of it clashing with any jewellery.


I also like the old-style sharara which is used here, again, reminiscent of older eras which focus on the cut of the outfit. I also liked the use of lace to hem the dupatta (which my mum tells me was something they used to do back in the 60's and 70's), and the shade of pistachio green which looks surprisingly elegant.


Lastly is this black and gold outfit, which again,  uses the gold jamawar print on the outfit to emphasise the use of rich fabrics and colours. I like how there is an almost bridal look created here from the jewellery, which gives a result of something which almost seems as if it was from a photo shoot taken out in the fields. Again, Preity's make up is immaculate here, and the focus is on the cut of the skirt and fitted top, rather than any embellishment which the outfit has. I also like how it takes an underused colour like black and makes it look  very wearable.

  All images owned by producers/directors of Jhoom Barabar Jhoom

The outfits in this song are a collection which will probably never feel dated. The film itself was only released around 5 years ago, yet the colours, rich metallics and beautiful accessories are something which feel beautifully classic. I'm sure that there is something for everyone in these outfits - they appeal to the various strands of South Asian culture - be it Rajasthani, Mughal, Punjabi or even modern fashion trends. Preity Zinta pulls off these looks very well, and looks, in my opinion, at her most gorgeous in this song, with her lovely brown eyes being accentuated, her rich brown hair and the range of colours which really shine.

4 comments:

  1. This is one of my fav songs and i remember being mesmerized by her look - all the outfits are so pretty! She is wearing clothes that normal girls would wear in a style that was not filmi or too stylyzed which is what stood out for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I loved the outfits in this song, they're not OTT or too catwalky at all.
    Pity Abishek doesn't look as good as she does in his rainbow kameez, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this post :) great details in the pictures, and def could listen this song all day, she just looks picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I think this song appeals to pretty much everyone! And she does look so lovely here!

    ReplyDelete